1. Book early – everyone knows the first and basic rule is the early booking. But not too early. Usually the best reservation period is between 6 and 8 weeks before the trip.
2. Be flexible on dates and times – if your trip date is not exactly fixed, look for flights for a few days before and after. So you will get more offers and the opportunity to choose the cheapest fly. Night or early morning flights are more inconvenient, but often cheaper.
3. Check out who is the weakest of the season – it is quite natural that the ticket prices around the Olympics or holidays such as Christmas and Easter are much higher than at the rest of the year. If possible, visit the destination outside peak periods.
4. Use sites that combine different airlines – direct flights from Bulgaria to London, for example. Use sites that combine the suggestions of all carriers to easily compare their prices.
5. Low-cost airlines – check whether low-cost airlines operate on the desired route. In many cases, their tickets are cheaper. Possibly travel only with hand luggage, this will significantly reduce the price.
6. Two-way ticket – if you are traveling with a regular airline, book a two-way ticket. Even if you travel only in one direction, it is almost certain that the two-way ticket will be cheaper than the one-way ticket.
7. Alternative Airport – Check for options to fly from or to an airport nearby. For example, you can fly to London not only from Sofia but also from Plovdiv, or land at Luton Airport instead of Heathrow. The price difference may be great.
8. The best time of the week – the cheapest flights are usually on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays, and the most expensive – on Fridays and Sundays. The most advantageous time for booking is Tuesday afternoon – Wednesday to 2 am after midnight.
9. Consultant – Trust an agent who has experience in selling airline tickets. He will do the necessary research much more competently and quickly and will offer you options that you have not guessed.
10. Keep track of airline websites and agencies, subscribe to their newsletters, and follow their social networking profiles to keep you informed about new opportunities, promotions and discounts.