Reading body language experiment
If you were going to get a custom suit made and noticed that the man or woman who was taking the measurements had shoes on that were scuffed would you think that they would be able to do the work necessary to ensure that the suit was done correctly?
Chances are that you would have a tough time believing that they would do a good job.
Now there might be a light amount of scuffing on their shoes where the shine might have been slightly marred but excessively dirty?
In service technicians and personnel it is not uncommon to find that they have not ever cleaned their shoes and think nothing of walking into your clean house, condo or apartment without even thinking about what they are tracking in.
Think of your shoes appearance this way. If you were going to be judged by a man or woman from the ground up he or she is sizing up your nonverbal communication this way:
Shoes and what they look like and are they the right shoe for the event
- The fit of the clothing that you have on
- Your gig line (where your fly meets up with your belt and button down shirt)
- If you have any weight hanging over your belt line
- If your clothes are clean or not stained
- Your teeth and if they are clean
- Your hair
- Your body language that is being computed, calculated and the tallied into some internal mental score.
Your shoes start the chain of events for you to be judged or end the chain of events when looking form the top down and having your nonverbal communication read.
It may not just be a woman that is reading your body language and nonverbal communication it could be a man that is judging you. It may not even matter what your mouth is saying or your nonverbal of what you are wearing the belief in your previous lack of attention to your attire may skew the message while reading your body language.
Reading body language of your attire and shoes
In reading the communication of your shoes it is important to note that there are a few things that you can do to help your mental score from the man or woman viewing you.
1. Make sure that your shoes are appropriate for your industry or event
2. Make sure that your shoes are clean and or polished
3. If your shoes are too damaged then replace them if possible
4. If your laces need to be replaced then do so, it will cost you less than $3.00
5. If your shoes need to be polished then get it done or do it yourself.
As a person in business or dating there are too many other areas where you can have a tough time making an impression so why would you risk not dealing with this one small area that can be made into a huge deal and ultimately determine what the person reading your body language decides about you.
If you are in the service industry it is a good idea to clean off your shoes throughout the day and wear floor savers inside the homes of your clients (these are the medical convers that would be worn inside of hospitals).
If you are in a business setting drop by a local mall and see if there is a place where you can get your shoes shined it should not cost you more than $10.00 in most places. As an added marketing benefit you never know who you might be sitting next to where you can make a connection or with the guys or girls polishing the shoes, they know many people you may not be able to connect with through social media or in their office. Treat them good and tip them well, they will remember you after a few visits.